[petsc-users] DMPlex problem

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 16:51:20 CDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Mark Lohry <mlohry at princeton.edu> wrote:

> Regarding DMPlex, I'm unclear on the separation between Index Sets and
> Plex for unstructured solvers. I've got an existing unstructured serial
> solver using petsc's newton-krylov

 Index Sets are lists of integers. They can mean whatever you want, but
they are just lists.

Plex stores mesh topology and has topological query functions.

> solvers. Should I be looking to parallelize this via IS or plex? Is there
> an interface for either that allows me to specify the partitioning (e.g. by
> metis' output)? Last but not least, is

There is DMPlexDistribute() which partitions and distributes, or you can
use DMPlexMigrates() if you want to calculate
your own partition for some reason.

> there a working example of dmplex in the docs? The only unstructured code
> example I see in the docs is SNES ex10, which uses IS.

SNES ex12, ex62, ex77 and TS ex11.