[petsc-users] How to set up an interface-type problem

Safin, Artur aks084000 at utdallas.edu
Thu Oct 20 01:22:20 CDT 2016

Hi all,

I would like to get your advice on how to set up an interface problem that I get from domain decomposition. The particular issue that I am dealing with is how to 'stack' two vectors on top of each other.

I would like to set up a problem of type

[ A   B ] [ x ]  = [ b ]
[ C   D ] [ y ]    [ c ]

where x and y live on a subset of the global domain (the interface to be exact, obtained with VecGetSubVector). I want to solve this system with an iterative method. I already have the x and y vectors, but in order to set up the system I believe I will need a vector that looks like v = [x; y]. Is there a way to set up a vector like this? It would also be beneficial if I could extract either the x or y component of the solution vector back into the corresponding subvector.

Also, just in general, I am curious as to how one would approach setting up these kinds of problems.

Thanks,

Artur