[petsc-users] Multi-physics meshes with PETSc DM?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:03:17 CDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Andrew Ho <andrewh0 at uw.edu> wrote:

> It will not be periodic since periodic meshes in Plex are topologically
>> periodic, meaning that
>> there is no separate aliasing array. I could possibly read in the GMsh
>> thing and do surgery
>> on the mesh.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by this, but being able to handle periodic
> domains is important for me. However periodicity is handled there needs to
> be a way to get access to the correct coordinates for the edge vertices of
> elements on both sides of the periodic edge so cell volumes/Jacobians can
> be computed correctly. I don't know why an aliasing array is necessary,
> since I thought for a topologically periodic mesh
> *DMPlexConstructGhostCells* should handle this correctly?

I was saying the _GMsh_ uses an alias array. Plex does not need that. For
example, see

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DM/DMPlexCreateHexBoxMesh.html

which creates periodic meshes. So if two vertices are identified, then in a
Plex they are actually the
same vertex. This is handled correctly in the DMPlexComputeCellGeometry*()
functions.