[petsc-users] false-positive leak report in log_view?

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:40:16 CDT 2016

I often use the memory usage information in log_view as a way to check on
memory leaks and so far it has worked perfect. However, I had long noticed
a false-positive report in memory leak for Viewers, i.e. destruction count
is always one less than creation.

Today, I noticed what seems to be a second one. If you use VecView to write
the same DA to vtk, i.e. call VecView(A, vtk); twice, it also report a
memory leak for vectors, vecscatters, dm, etc. I am calling this a
false-positive since the code is valgrind-clean.

Is this known/expected?

Here's the relevant bit from log_view:

--- Event Stage 0: Main Stage

              Vector     8              7       250992     0.
      Vector Scatter     2              0            0     0.
    Distributed Mesh     2              0            0     0.
Star Forest Bipartite Graph     4              0            0     0.
     Discrete System     2              0            0     0.
           Index Set     4              4        83136     0.
   IS L to G Mapping     2              0            0     0.
              Viewer     2              1          784     0.