[petsc-users] block matrix without MatCreateNest

Klaij, Christiaan C.Klaij at marin.nl
Tue Aug 2 02:25:06 CDT 2016

Thanks for your help! Going from individual blocks to a whole
matrix makes perfect sense if the blocks are readily available or
needed as fully functional matrices. Don't change that! Maybe add
the opposite?

I'm surprised it's broken though: on this mailing list several
petsc developers have stated on several occasions (and not just
to me) things like "you should never have a matnest", "you should
have a mat then change the type at runtime", "snes ex70 is not
the intended use" and so on.

I fully appreciate the benefit of having a format-independent
assembly and switching mat type from aij to nest depending on the
preconditioner. And given the manual and the statements on this
list, I thought this would be standard practice and therefore
thoroughly tested. But now I get the impression it has never
worked...

Chris

dr. ir. Christiaan Klaij | CFD Researcher | Research & Development
MARIN | T +31 317 49 33 44 | C.Klaij at marin.nl<mailto:C.Klaij at marin.nl> | www.marin.nl<http://www.marin.nl>

[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/marin> [YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/marinmultimedia>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/MARIN_nieuws>  [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/marin.wageningen>
MARIN news: Ship design in EU project Holiship<http://www.marin.nl/web/News/News-items/Ship-design-in-EU-project-Holiship.htm>