[petsc-users] block matrix without MatCreateNest

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:49:36 CDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:25 AM, Klaij, Christiaan <C.Klaij at marin.nl> wrote:

> Thanks for your help! Going from individual blocks to a whole
> matrix makes perfect sense if the blocks are readily available or
> needed as fully functional matrices. Don't change that! Maybe add
> the opposite?
>
> I'm surprised it's broken though: on this mailing list several
> petsc developers have stated on several occasions (and not just
> to me) things like "you should never have a matnest", "you should
> have a mat then change the type at runtime", "snes ex70 is not
> the intended use" and so on.
>
> I fully appreciate the benefit of having a format-independent
> assembly and switching mat type from aij to nest depending on the
> preconditioner. And given the manual and the statements on this
> list, I thought this would be standard practice and therefore
> thoroughly tested. But now I get the impression it has never
> worked...

Yes, that way has never worked. Nest is only a memory optimization, and with
implicit problems I am never running at the limit of memory (or I use more
procs).
The people I know who needed it had explicitly coded it in rather than
trying to
use it from options. It should not take long to get this fixed.