[petsc-users] Preconditioner question ASM vs SOR

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 07:11:30 CDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Erik Andreassen <erand at mek.dtu.dk> wrote:

> I have played a bit with preconditioners for the different levels in PCMG,
> and among others I have tried additive Schwartz (ASM), which does not seem
> to work very well – especially with no overlap. I’m curious to hear if
> anyone can explain why ASM with no overlap performs so much worse than SOR?

The point of a smoother is to wipe out the high frequencies in the error.
SOR does this (provably for the Laplacian), but there is no
reason ASM/ILU should do this. If this does not happen, then these parts of
the solution remain uncorrected when you go to the
coarse grid, and the convergence breaks down.

   Matt