[petsc-users] Preconditioner question ASM vs SOR

Erik Andreassen erand at mek.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 17 07:39:08 CDT 2015

I think I understand; does this mean that it is possible to change the sub PC type to SOR? Or is there a specific reason why the sub type is ILU?

The reason why I am asking, is that when I look at the residuals coming out of PCMG, they seem to be largest on local domain boundaries (corresponding to the partitions). Therefore, I’d like to use ASM with overlap instead of SOR as the preconditioner on the coarser levels (to smooth these errors out), but with the ASM/ILU combination this does not work at all (in accordance with your comment on high frequencies).

Thanks again,
Erik