[petsc-users] FEM 101

Justin Pogacnik j.pogacnik at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 30 16:39:58 CDT 2015

Hello,

I'm beginning to write a finite element solid mechanics code in F90 and am having some problems getting started with finite element basics within Petsc. I'm using an unstructured grid and the DMPlex class and able to access most of the mesh information required for FE numerical integration. I've used PetscFECreateDefault and have found the quadrature point locations/data. I'm trying to determine how to find the values of standard trilinear basis functions and their derivatives at the element quadrature points and then to perform the integration on the element. Can anyone advise what the proper routines are that I should call? It's possible that I'm way off target. I've seen "PetscFEGetBasisSpace", but I'm unsure what to do with the resulting output space. I've also seen the PetscFEIntegrate routines, but unsure how their intended to be used and don't see any fortran wrappers.

I hope this question is clear. Please let me know if you require more information. I appreciate any help and guidance that anyone can offer.

Many thanks,

Justin