[petsc-users] Problem with MPI, MatAXPY and SAME_NONZERO_PATTERN

Klaus Kaiser kaiser at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Mar 27 11:07:55 CDT 2015

Hallo Matthew,

here is a short example I used for 8 cores:

     int d_nnz[3];
     int o_nnz[3];
     d_nnz[0] = 3; d_nnz[1] = 3; d_nnz[2] = 3;
     o_nnz[0] = 6; o_nnz[1] = 6; o_nnz[2] = 6;
     ierr = MatCreateBAIJ(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, 3, 9, 9, 72, 72, 0, d_nnz,
0, o_nnz,&A);
     ierr = MatSetOption(A,MAT_NEW_NONZERO_ALLOCATION_ERR,PETSC_TRUE);
     ierr = MatSetOption(A,MAT_KEEP_NONZERO_PATTERN,PETSC_TRUE);
     ierr = MatSetOption(A,MAT_IGNORE_OFF_PROC_ENTRIES,PETSC_TRUE);
     ierr = MatCreateBAIJ(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, 3, 9, 9, 72, 72, 0, d_nnz,
0, o_nnz,&Ah);
     ierr = MatCreateBAIJ(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, 3, 9, 9, 72, 72, 0, d_nnz,
0, o_nnz,&At);

     std::vector<double> insert(3*3*3*3, 1.0);
     for(int i=0;i<8;++i)
     {
         int rows[3] = {i,i+1,i+3};
         int cols[3] = {i,i+1,i+3};

         MatSetValuesBlocked(A, 3, rows, 3, cols, &insert[0], ADD_VALUES);
     }

     MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
     MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
     MatDuplicate(A,MAT_COPY_VALUES,&Ah);
     MatDuplicate(A,MAT_COPY_VALUES,&At);
     MatAssemblyBegin(Ah,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
     MatAssemblyEnd(Ah,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
     MatAssemblyBegin(At,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
     MatAssemblyEnd(At,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);

     MatAXPY(Ah,1.,At,SAME_NONZERO_PATTERN);
     MatAXPY(A,1.,Ah,SAME_NONZERO_PATTERN);

     MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);
     MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);

The result is, that only some values are computed correctly.

Best and Thank you a lot

Klaus