[petsc-users] estimation of max and min eigenvalues in SLEPc

Xujun Zhao xzhao99 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:00:57 CDT 2015

Hi Jed,

Here is my problem:

I want to evaluate a vector  u = B*dw where B and dw are a matrix and a
stochastic vector. However, B = D^(-1/2) in which D is not explicitly
assembled, so it is expensive to directly evaluate B. One solution is to
make a Chebyshev approximation on B w.r.t. D, which is
B = sum(c_k*D_k)

Then, the problem becomes u = B*dw = sum(c_k*y_k)  where y_k = D_k*dw can
be obtained from my solver.

Note c_k is the coefficient that is a function of approximate(not exact)
max and min eigenvalues of D matrix. So I need an approximate range [
lambda_min, lambda_max ] to calculate c_k. If this range is accurate, then
Chebyshev approximation can converge faster, otherwise may be slow or even
never.

Xujun