[petsc-users] estimation of max and min eigenvalues in SLEPc

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jun 2 15:26:12 CDT 2015

Xujun Zhao <xzhao99 at gmail.com> writes:

> I need to evaluate the max and min eigenvalues of a matrix

You need the min and max eigenvalues of the preconditioner operator.
But note that Chebyshev is not usually used as a stand-alone solver, but
rather as a smoother for multigrid or occasionally as a polynomial
preconditioner to control storage requirements or orthogonalization
issues.  One exception is if your problem is fairly well-conditioned
with an evenly spaced spectrum.

In general, estimating the largest eigenvalue is relatively inexpensive,
but computing the smallest to even moderate accuracy is as expensive as
solving the linear system.

https://scicomp.stackexchange.com/questions/34/how-can-i-estimate-the-condition-number-of-a-large-sparse-matrix-using-petsc