[petsc-users] Insufficient memory when using GMRES + Boomeramg

TAY wee-beng zonexo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:54:18 CDT 2014

On 27/3/2014 12:14 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com
> <mailto:zonexo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 26/3/2014 11:22 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>>     On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:zonexo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi,
>>
>>         I am running a CFD solver. The Poisson eqn was originally
>>         solved using HYPRE's geometric multigrid.
>>

>>     Is this on a structured grid?
>
>     Yes.
>

> Then you can replicate the Hypre structured MG with the PCMG, and it
> can be lighter memory than GAMG. You
> will need to code the problem in the style of SNES ex5, which is a
> Poisson for which geometric MG works from
> the command line.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>      Matt
Hi Matt,

First of all, is there an easier way out? Is it Boomeramg or GMRES which
has a large memory requirement? Will changing e.g. GMRES to FGMRES or
other ksp solvers solve the problem?

Also, I switched from geometric multigrid (GMG) to Boomeramg because the
latter is faster. If I use PCMG, am I going back to the GMG path, which
was slower?

Thanks!