[petsc-users] Can I use TS routines for operator split formulation

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 12:09:48 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Shriram Srinivasan <shriram at ualberta.ca>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I am working with the (discretised) PDE:
> (u* - u_prev) + (tau )A u* = f1
> (u - u*) + (tau)B u = f2
> Here A and B are constant matrices which have been assembled, u_prev is
> solution at previous time level, tau is the time step and u is the solution
> at current time level.
>
> It appears to me I cannot rewrite this in a form required by the TS
> module. So my question(s) are:
>
> 1) Am I missing something here, or is there a way to cast this into the
> framework of TS

It seems like above you have already chosen a time discretization, in that
you have time steps appearing. The
idea with TS is to begin with the continuum form, in the simplest case

   u_t = G(u, t)

and in the implicit form

  F(u_t, u, t) = 0

and let PETSc choose the time discretization (since there are many
multistep methods). It is likely that
you could reproduce the method you have above by choosing one of the
existing TS methods. Does this
make sense?