[petsc-users] neumann failure in my version of snes ex12

Geoffrey Irving irving at naml.us
Sun Nov 24 18:06:04 CST 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Geoffrey Irving <irving at naml.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > My first guess is a triangle with backwards edge. This could cause the
>> > geometry routines to barf.
>>
>> I don't think it's edge orientation: it breaks (though at different
>> points) regardless of whether I orient all the edges clockwise or
>> counterclockwise.  Also, I would expect bad edge orientation to result
>> in bad normals but not to produce bad quadrature locations (nor bad
>> residuals as long as the user routines don't depend on normal).
>>
>> Specifically, I think the problem is a sign error in
>> DMPlexComputeProjection2Dto1D_Internal.  The following patch seems to
>> fix the out of bounds evaluation problem.
>> DMPlexComputeProjection2Dto1D is computing a matrix which maps from
>> the given segment to the canonical segment, and
>> DMPlexComputeLineGeometry_Internal expects a map from the canonical
>> segment to the given segment.
>>
>> snes ex12 passes with and without this change, presumably because the
>> only Neumann test has constants along each box side, and is therefore
>> invariant to this error.
>

> When I replaced my kludge with code using the normal explicitly, I get the
> same
> error as you do. You fix is correct, and I checked it into
> knepley/fix-fem-bd-integrate
>
>   https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/branch/knepley/fix-fem-bd-integrate
>
> along with other fixes that I think get Neumann all the way correct in ex12.
>

>> Unfortunately, my Laplace test is also invariant to this error, so
>> this bug is unrelated to the earlier problem.
>
> It could be one of the other fixes I made. Could you run again?

Much better.  All the points and (inward) normals are right, and now
my residuals have zero sum as expected.  There's still something
wrong, since I don't get the exact solution with second order
elements, but that's probably an independent problem.  I will trace it
down.  Thanks for the help and fixes!

Why did you choose inward pointing normals, by the way?  I would have
though outward pointing normals are the nearly universal convention.

Geoffrey