[petsc-users] GAMG processor reduction

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:06:21 CST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Dave May <dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is using the "big communicator" really the right way to go? What happens
> when I call VecNorm() when the local size on most ranks =0.. the global
> reduction still has to be performed and all ranks in the original
> communicator associated with the fine get participate.
>
> I thought the primary advantage/reason to use less ranks with small
> distributed systems was to avoid seeing the network latency when there is
> little computational work. I don't see how using the big communicator
> avoids this.

Its not just this. You do not want to get to the point where you have 1 or
< 1 point per process, so
you rebalance to put a reasonable number of unknowns per process and leave
others empty. You
could create a subcomm with only the nonzero procs to use in the solve. Not
sure if this is worth it.

   Matt