[petsc-users] GAMG processor reduction

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 15:43:10 CST 2013

Is using the "big communicator" really the right way to go? What happens
when I call VecNorm() when the local size on most ranks =0.. the global
reduction still has to be performed and all ranks in the original
communicator associated with the fine get participate.

I thought the primary advantage/reason to use less ranks with small
distributed systems was to avoid seeing the network latency when there is
little computational work. I don't see how using the big communicator
avoids this.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
  Dave