[petsc-users] -ksp_rtol problem

Qiyue Lu qiyuelu1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 11:55:24 CST 2013

Dear All:

I am working on a linear A*x=b system.
When I use *-ksp_rtol 1.0e-5 *option in the command line, I am not very
sure how the relative tolerance is defined.

In my understanding:

At the beginning, r= b-A*x_i, so rtol = ||r|| / ||b|| with 2-norm has a
value. with the calculation, rtol gets smaller, when the rtol_new /
rtol_original < 1.0e-5, the calculation will stop.

Is my understanding correct?

If so, how to decide the rtol at the first iteration? If initial solution
values are all zeros, then rtol should be 1.0. In my output file, it's a
value related to the matrix and can be at 1.0e-4  scale. Is there any
initial guess solution from preconditioner used there?

Could you help to clarify this definition? Thanks

Qiyue Lu