[petsc-users] petsc 3.4:

Matteo Parsani parsani.matteo at gmail.com
Wed May 15 07:09:28 CDT 2013

Hello Satish,
the problem with the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH has been fixed. The
administrator of our systems was working on the OS to install new libraries
and my .bashrc was not loaded properly. So, now everything is fine.

Although I set --prefix to install petsc in my code dependencies, I noticed
that I still was using PETSC_ARC in both petsc 3.3-p7 and petsc 3.4
(something like:  make PETSC_DIR=/scratch/home0/pmatteo/research/lib_src/
petsc-3.3-p7 PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug install). That was my fault,
sorry.

However, with 3.3-p7 even if I use PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug I did not
get

egrep: /scratch/home0/pmatteo/
research/workspace/codes/ssdc/deps/petsc/arch-linux2-c-debug/include/
petscconf.h: No such file or directory

Whereas with petsc 3.4 I got it because of course under petsc installation
directory I have no petsc/arch-linux2-c-debug. All the header files are in
petsc/lib as it should be.

Thus a couple of questions:

1- Installation of petsc 3.4 seems to be more careful and it is able to
detect that I am setting  --prefix and PETSC_ARCH. It does not say that
explicitly but it print the "egrep message". Would not be better to check
if the user is setting --prefix and change the installation instructions
printed at screen?
Also in the petsc installation documentation it is stressed that PETSC_ARCH
must not be used with --prefix but ss it is now, even if the user sets
--prefix, the instructions say:

make PETSC_DIR=/scratch/home0/pmatteo/research/lib_src/petsc-3.3-p7 PETSC
_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug install

2- this is just a curiosity: why petsc 3.3-p7 was not giving me back the "
egrep message" though I was setting PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug?

Thank you.

--
Matteo