[petsc-users] petsc 3.4:

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 14 15:25:54 CDT 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013, Matteo Parsani wrote:

> Dear PETSc developers and users,
> I have just updated petsc from 3.3-p7 to petsc 3.4. and during the
> installation testing I get the following message:
>
> pmatteo at parsani-lan:~/research/lib_src/petsc$ make PETSC_DIR=/scratch/home0/
> pmatteo/research/workspace/codes/ssdc/deps/petscnew test
> Running test examples to verify correct installation
> Using PETSC_DIR=/scratch/home0/pmatteo/research/workspace/codes/ssdc/deps/
> petscnew and PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug
> C/C++ example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 run successfully with 1
> MPIprocess
> C/C++ example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 run successfully with 2
> MPIprocesses
> egrep: /scratch/home0/pmatteo/research/workspace/codes/ssdc/deps/petscnew
> /arch-linux2-c-debug/include/petscconf.h: No such file or directory

Perhaps you are having file system problems?

> Fortran example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex5f run successfully with
> 1 MPIprocess
> Completed test examples
>
> The test pass successfully but ....

Ok - then the library is ok and useable.

> Attached the log file.
>
> Moreover, when I run my Fortran 90 as usual it seems the libpetsc.so can
> not be opened (./NSE: error while loading shared libraries: libpetsc.so:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
>
> PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set exactly as for petsc 3.3-p7 through my .
> bashrc file and libpetsc.so is in the right location.
>
> If I switch to 3.3-p7 (just by point to the other directory where
> petsc3.3-p7 is installed) it works fine.

Perhaps you can use PETSc makefiles - so you don't have to rely on LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
[or use -Wl,-rpath,/scratch/home0/pmatteo/research/lib_src/petsc/arch-linux2-c-debug/lib]

You can always do 'ldd NSE' to see if the required sharedlibraries are found or not

Satish