[petsc-users] vfork problems compiling on Windows

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 18 08:06:39 CDT 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I already reported this problem before. I get vfork problem on Windows
> and one or more subfolders break during compilation resulting in an
> incomplete target library.
> I was advised before to go to the failed subfolder and run make in
> there. That works, but now the question is how do I re-make the final
> library and only the library.

Running 'make' in the subfolder' where you got 'vfork' errors should
update the library with the missing pieces - so you shouldn't have to
do any more 're-make final library' stuff.

> If I go back to the petssc root folder
> and issue "make" the whole thing gets rebuilt from scratch, ignoring
> what has been so far built. This not only takes ages on Windows, but
> also occasionally breaks due to the vfork problem in another
> subfolder. How can I trigger continuing the build in this case?

Alternative way of achieving incremental build is the following
command in the top-level dir. [But this can also take a while to
complete]

make ACTION=lib tree

Satish