[petsc-users] Linesearch algorithm

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 15 08:13:10 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM, behzad baghapour <
behzad.baghapour at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Actually the jacobian which I obtain has a part of transient as J
> = M/dt + dR/dQ. Then I want to eliminate the time effect before calculating
> R^T*J*dQ as the descent direction. So, which way is correct in my case?

This sounds like a good way to stagnate. Many transient problems _require_
the "steady-state" residual to increase (climbing a hill) before it can
decrease.

Also, I can't tell from your description if you want the search direction
to come from the transient or steady problem.