[petsc-users] ccgraph.c error

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:58:08 CST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM, John Fettig <john.fettig at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry to dig up an old thread (I seem to have a tendency of doing that
>> here!), but this problem exists in petsc-3.2-p6 with MUMPS and Metis as
>> well.  Looking at the differences between the dev version of mump.c and the
>> release version, I don't see anything that would have obviously fixed
>> this.  Could you give me a hint about what was changed?  Is it as simple as
>> using the updated Metis package (in dev)?  How difficult would it be to
>> backport the fix to the released version?
>

> It'd be pretty murky to do this. Start by looking at this changeset:
>
> http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/0c0bf07c7a32

Do I understand correctly that this was fixed mainly by using the latest
Metis?  Were there any patches to MUMPS that weren't directly related to
the updated Metis?  I'm just trying to understand what fixed the ccgraph.c
problem.  It doesn't seem to happen in 3.1-p8, although that version of
MUMPS is a lot slower (not sure why).

Related question, would it be a problem to just use petsc-dev?

I could, but it's a little too unstable for use in production software.
Using the released/patched version simplifies a lot of things on many
levels.

John