[petsc-users] incomplete cholesky with a drop tolerance

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 22 13:22:33 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Umut Tabak <u.tabak at tudelft.nl> wrote:

> I am not sure at the moment I should check it further but the mesh is fine
> enough that this should not be a problem in the frequency range of interest.

If you are using the minimum to resolve the waves, then multigrid won't buy
you much (unless you use very technical coarse spaces for which there is no
particular software support). But if your waves are lower frequency (e.g.
due to geometric/coefficient structure), there may be more benefit to using
multigrid.

Note that there is also a body of literature for solving Helmholtz using
multigrid preconditioners for Krylov methods by introducing a complex shift.