[petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

amrit poudel amrit_pou at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:16:19 CDT 2011

I do not plan on using MUMPS without PETSc, but I would like to learn how I can compile these libraries independent of PETSc so that later when I try to configure PETSc in some other computer I know how to take care of MUMPS libraries. Coming to think of it, it sounds like I should not be doing this, because the other computer (which will be a cluster since this is where I plan on doing my number crunching ultimately) will have different OS and I will be out of luck again.

By the way, I already have Macports installed and I have gcc44, but I do not have gfortran (I checked inside /opt/local/lib), which I can install .

I am not quite understanding why we need gfortran from Macports, because I already have them in /usr/local/lib . Moreover, when we ./configure PETSc with MPI we need to use wrapper compilers mpicc and mpif77 anyways.  I am sorry if this wrong, bu this is what my understanding was, and this is how I compiled PETSc on my computer.

If I configure PETSc the way you mentioned (that is, with download mumps etc), will I then be able to run the executable of my program (the one that we get out by typing make myprogram)  on any computer anywhere regardless of whether it has MAC OSX or not? Do I need to carry all the libraries with the program if I do so? Sorry for digressing with elementary questions.

My original plan was to install PETSc on my laptop ( MAC OSX) and any external libraries or packages on the laptop, then compile my C program on my laptop, and then send the executable to cluster or more powerful computer around the country/national labs for number crunching. I am not implying that compiling MUMPS separately from PETSc will allow me to do this, but if your method of configuring PETSc with download mumps option will allow me to meet these needs, then I'd definitely do it that way. My ultimate goal is to be able to run my program on powerful computers and cluster.

Thanks.

-Amrit