[petsc-users] how to rebuild from updated repo

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 7 15:52:10 CST 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Shao-Ching Huang wrote:

> Hi
>
> I downloaded petsc using the "hg clone
> http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/releases/petsc-3.2" method. Now, after
> hg pull/update (some files are changed), do I always have to build
> from scratch (i.e. compiling everything, including the --download-xxx
> stuff)? Is there a short cut to rebuild libpetsc.{so,a} when I have no
> configuration change?

This is a tricky thing. Generally updates to petsc-3.2 should not
require a rerun of configure or a rebuild of all library code - but
this is not always true. [sometimes you might have to pull/update
BuildSystem and rerun configure - or rebuild externalpackages - as the
tarballs for these packages get updated].

For the generaly case - an update of the libraries can be done with:

[for cmake build]
make

[for non-cmake build]
make ACTION=lib tree

And if a rerun of configure is needed - one can run
./PETSC_ARCH/conf/reconfigure_PETSC_ARCH.py

Satish