[petsc-users] how to rebuild from updated repo

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:49:42 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Shao-Ching Huang <huangsc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I downloaded petsc using the "hg clone
> http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/releases/petsc-3.2" method. Now, after
> hg pull/update (some files are changed), do I always have to build
> from scratch (i.e. compiling everything, including the --download-xxx
> stuff)? Is there a short cut to rebuild libpetsc.{so,a} when I have no
> configuration change?

The point of having a configuration stage is that it allows us to be
ignorant
of the precise configuration of your platform. If you want a package, there
are several package managers with PETSc (like Debian), but it is hard
to keep them up to date. Personally, I prefer the "built it for the machine"
philosophy (like Gentoo).

   Matt