[petsc-users] pmetis

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Jan 28 10:29:58 CST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 13:19, Stephen Wornom <stephen.wornom at inria.fr>wrote:

> Usually one defines the mesh vertices on the exterior faces and the mesh
> generator determines the location of the mesh vertices inside the
> rectangular.
> Since I have no mesh generator, I simply created a 3D structured mesh and
> wrote the mesh in an unstructured format (tetrahedra, ... etc).

So you are storing a structured mesh (perhaps tets) in an unstructured
format?

> Thus metis reads an unstructured mesh.

You don't need METIS for such a simple partitioning and METIS does not use
coordinates anyway (it's just a topological graph, perhaps with edge
weights).

>  How do I tell metis to partition the mesh so that the partition boundaries
> are along x= constant lines?

I would just use your own code for partitioning.  To subvert METIS, you
could prescribe large weights for edges in directions that you don't want to
be cut.