[petsc-users] pmetis

Stephen Wornom stephen.wornom at inria.fr
Fri Jan 28 10:19:11 CST 2011

Jed Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:45, Stephen Wornom <stephen.wornom at inria.fr
> <mailto:stephen.wornom at inria.fr>> wrote:
>
>     I have an unstructured mesh created from a structured x,y,z Cartesian
>     mesh.
>

> What does this mean?
Usually one defines the mesh vertices on the exterior faces and the mesh
generator determines the location of the mesh vertices inside the
rectangular.
Since I have no mesh generator, I simply created a 3D structured mesh
and wrote the mesh in an unstructured format (tetrahedra, ... etc). Thus
metis reads an unstructured mesh.

>     Is it possible to partition the mesh along x= constant values
>     (partitions are slice in x of the global mesh).
>

> Sure, but the partitions may not be "good".
How do I tell metis to partition the mesh so that the partition
boundaries are along x= constant lines?
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Stephen