[petsc-users] Using SuperLU_Dist with petsc-3.0.0-p12: Necessary to use -pc_type lu ??

Gaurish Telang gaurish108 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:13:45 CST 2011

Hi I have configured petsc-3.0.0-p12 along with SuperLU_Dist.

When we use SuperLU as an external solver the manual saya that we must pass
-pc_factor_mat_solver_package superlu_dist as an option.

I notice that when we provide -pc_type lu the example runs smoothly. but
without this option, -log_summary says

WARNING! There are options you set that were not used!
WARNING! could be spelling mistake, etc!
Option left: name:-pc_factor_mat_solver_package value: superlu_dist

Does this mean -pc_type lu must always be provided as an option when using
SuperLU_Dist????

Also there was a bug when using SuperLU_Dist along with -ksp_view in
petsc-3.1p5. I dont have the same problem when using petsc-3.0.0-p12 . Are
there any reported problems when using petsc-3.0.0p12
with SuperLU_Dist

Gaurish