[petsc-users] 2 levels of parallelism for ASM

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 24 15:16:07 CST 2011

petsc-dev has PCGASM, which is a "generalization" of PCASM that  allows for
subdomains that live on a subcommunicator of the PC's communicator.  The API
is nearly identical to ASM's, and GASM will eventually replace ASM, once we
are reasonably sure
 it works correctly (e.g., I'm chasing down a small memory leak in GASM at
the moment).

The difficulty with subdomains straddling several ranks is that the user is
responsible for generating these subdomains.
PCGASMCreateSubdomains2D is a helper subroutine that will produce a
rank-straddling partition using DA-like data.
This is of limited use, since it works for structured 2D meshes only.  The
currently implemented partitioning "algorithm"
is sufficiently naive to serialize the subdomain solves.  This can be
improved, but in the absence of users I have not
made the time to do it.

The longer-term plan is to have an interface to various mesh packages to
read the subdomain partition information from them
(in addition to the parallel partition). Similar functionality is required
for FETI-like subdivisions, and I'm currently working on one of these
mesh/partitioning hookups (initially, for MOAB). We can definitely help the
particular application/user with using this functionality.

Dmitry.