[petsc-users] a direct solver with support for 64-bit integers

Hari Krishna Kodali hari at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 24 13:41:03 CDT 2010

On 03/24/2010 01:38 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:24:17 -0500, Hari Krishna Kodali<hari at iastate.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for a parallel direct solver (as my problem is ill
>> conditioned and the petsc provided preconditioners don't help !) that
>> can use 64 bit integers (due to large problem size).
>>
> I don't have an answer to your question, but what problem are you
> solving that has over 2 billion degrees of freedom, but for which a
> direct solver is remotely feasible?  Or is this a subproblem of a much
> larger simulation?
>
> If you explain the problem, perhaps someone can suggest a way to solve
> the system efficiently with iterative methods.
>
> Jed

Thanks for the reply Jed

I have been using superlu_dist and ran into problems.
My two dimensional, structured grid, quadrilateral elements, finite
element code creates a square matrix of degrees of freedom (dof)
1,200,000. superlu_dist works fine with this, but when i try a problem
of dof
1,500,000 there are errors.

The dof is well below 2 billion but the number of nonzeroes in the
matrix may
have exceeded 2 billion which could be causing the problem.

Thanks

--
Hari Krishna Kodali