[petsc-users] a direct solver with support for 64-bit integers

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Mar 24 13:38:12 CDT 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:24:17 -0500, Hari Krishna Kodali <hari at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a parallel direct solver (as my problem is ill
> conditioned and the petsc provided preconditioners don't help !) that
> can use 64 bit integers (due to large problem size).

I don't have an answer to your question, but what problem are you
solving that has over 2 billion degrees of freedom, but for which a
direct solver is remotely feasible?  Or is this a subproblem of a much
larger simulation?

If you explain the problem, perhaps someone can suggest a way to solve
the system efficiently with iterative methods.

Jed