[petsc-users] a direct solver with support for 64-bit integers

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Mar 24 14:20:32 CDT 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:41:03 -0500, Hari Krishna Kodali <hari at iastate.edu> wrote:
> I have been using superlu_dist and ran into problems.  My two
> dimensional, structured grid, quadrilateral elements, finite element
> code creates a square matrix of degrees of freedom (dof)
> 1,200,000. superlu_dist works fine with this, but when i try a problem
> of dof 1,500,000 there are errors.
>
> The dof is well below 2 billion but the number of nonzeroes in the
> matrix may have exceeded 2 billion which could be causing the problem.

Ah, I see.  MUMPS and PaStiX both claim to support 64-bit integers, but
I don't think --download-mumps or --download-pastix currently support
this.  In the case of MUMPS, I appears rather involved to get BLACS and
SCALAPACK built (portably) with 64-bit integers since they were clearly
not written with this capability in mind.

Jed