[petsc-users] x64 build problem

Rob Ellis Robert.G.Ellis at Shaw.ca
Sun Jan 17 19:15:13 CST 2010

Hi Matt,

Of course, my apologies, here it is.

Thanks,

Rob

From: petsc-users-bounces at mcs.anl.gov
[mailto:petsc-users-bounces at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Matthew Knepley
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:10 PM
To: PETSc users list
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] x64 build problem

You have to send configure.log (send it to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov) or we
have absolutely
no idea what is going on.

  Matt

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Rob Ellis <Robert.G.Ellis at shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi Petsc Experts

I've been running Petsc/TAO successfully under CVF VC but need to move to 64
bit. Now, I'm trying to compile Petsc on a Windows XP64, VS2008 C/C++ and
IVF 11 from the IVF compiler shell with Cygwin bash using the command

./config/configure.py                  \

     --with-cc='win32fe cl'             \

     --with-cxx='win32fe cl'           \

     --with-fc=ifort                            \

     --with-mpi-dir=/cygdrive/c/MPICH2 \

     --download-f-blas-lapack=1        \

     --with-clanguage=C++ CXXFLAGS='-DMPICH_SKIP_MPICXX -MT -GR -EHsc'

and get the following error:

=====

             Configuring PETSc to compile on your system

=====

TESTING: checkCCompiler from
config.setCompilers(/cygdrive/z/ai/petsc-3.0.0-p9/config/BuildSystem/config/
setCompilers.py:394)

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for
details):

-----------

C compiler you provided with -with-cc=win32fe cl does not work

*****

However if I type cl at the command line, cl seems to work

$ cl

Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.21022.08 for x64

usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

lead.