[petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 19 16:37:22 CDT 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 4:28 PM, Li, Zhisong (lizs) wrote:

> Hi, Jed
>
> Yes, I did have "--download-mpich=1" when I installed PETSc.  To use
> "--with-mpi-dir=/path/to/system/mpi ?", Do you mean I should
> reinstall PETSc with this option or add this as a run command
> option? It seems it's not recognized as a run command option.
>
> Anyway, this should be a fundamental issue running PETSc. Why
> doesn't it happen to many other users? On machines of Ohio
> supercomputer center, I could not easily install any software for
> myself. I can only upload my complied executable and run it there
> using their default MPI setup.

     Then you need to compile it using their "default MPI setup" and
you cannot use --download-mpich

     Likely they provide a mpicc and mpicxx and mpif90 that are used
to compile programs there. You should run ./configure with the options
--with-cc=mpicc  --with-cxx=mpicxx --with-fc=mpif90 making sure that
the mpicc, mpicxx and mpif90 are in your path.

    Barry