[petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Mon Apr 19 15:13:02 CDT 2010

Dear Zhisong,

Jed asked you to use the makefile to actually launch the test, as so:

cd src/snes/examples/tutorials && make -n runex5

You'll notice in your reply that you only built ex5, and didn't use the make
command to launch the job.  This is important to ensure that you can execute
your code in parallel using the MPI that PETSc detected or installed.

"All the machines have mpi package installed before I got to touch PETSc.
That might be the potential problem. But "Portability" is one of the main
features of PETSc. Doesn't that mean the user can run the final executable
anywhere as long as c and mpi libraries are available?"

Traditionally, portability means that the code will compile and link
anywhere, not that you can drag and drop executables as you wish.  You are
responsible for re-building PETSc applications or at least ensuring binary
and MPI compatibility.

Hope this helps...

Warm Regards,
Aron Ahmadia