symmetric reordering and incomplete factorization with tolerance?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 16 11:06:07 CDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 10:57 AM, zhifeng sheng wrote:

> Dear Barry
>
> I tried the RCM+ICC(2) in Petsc.... it seems that the reordering
> does not work well... as I view the preconditioner, it does not say
> in which way the matrix is reordered.

    I've added this information to PCView_ICC.

> And when I solve it with KSP, the solver always complains about
>
> Detected zero pivot in Cholesky factorization
>
> How could it be?

     This is very possible, there is nothing that says you take some
symmetric matrix and do an ICC on it that you will get a positive
definite matrix or
no zero pivots.

    You can use -pc_factor_shift_positive_definite to force the ICC to
generate a positive definite matrix.

    Barry