Establishing Fast Eth Beowulf Cluster for Using PETSc on that

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 09:38:25 CST 2007

On 11/23/07, amjad ali <amjad11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I want to setup a new Beowulf Cluster of few PCs to run PETSc
> program on that. please tell me steps of how to build it.
> I do not
> want to install MPICH2 separately on the cluster (just want to
> install/use as a part of PETSc).

I use a similar setup. I would recommed you to do the following:

* Make '/usr/local' availabe at your nodes using NFS.

* Build and install MPICH2 using prefix '/usr/local/mpich2'

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2 ...
$ make
$ su -c 'make install' # or: sudo make install

* Now modify your path:
$ export PATH=/usr/local/mpich2/bin:$PATH

* Now build PETSc, unpacking sources on '/usr/local'
$ su -l
$ cd /usr/local
$ tar -zxf petsc-xxx.tar.gz
$ cd petsc-xxx
$ export PETSC_DIR=`pwd`
$ export PETSC_ARCH=linux-gnu
$ python config/configure.py <customization options>
$ make

And this should be all you have to do. You will have PETSc built at
'/usr/local/petsc-xxx', and all your nodes would be able to see and
use it via NFS.

If you have any problem, feel free to ask me again.

--
Lisandro Dalcín