multi core os x machines

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 13 10:57:07 CST 2007

Actually the new intels are pretty similar to the AMDs these days.

There are 2 things here:
- multiple-cores per chip
- and multiple chips

For eg: one can buy 2-chip-dual-core = 4CPU machine.

[with AMD each chip has a separate memory bank. With intel, there is a
single controller with multiple banks. But when 1 chip is used - only
half the memory banks are accessed - or something like that]

So in both AMD and Intel, when both chips [each chip - a dual-core]
are used, MB available scales up - as compared to 1 chip usage.

However within a chip [i.e dual core] - the MB from main memory to
cpu/cache is same irrespective of both cores being used or only
one. So when both are used - the effective memory bandwith is not
scaling up.

So to get best parallel speedup - one should choose 'np' as
'no_of_memory banks' - not 'no_of_cpus'. So, on this 2x2 = 4CPU
machine, I suspect the best performance scaling can be seen only with
'-np 2'

Wrt MPICH on SMP, we were sugested to use the following MPICH
configure options:

--with-pm=gforker --device=ch3:nemesis --enable-fast

Satish