Implementing an ADI method in parallel

David Knezevic david.knezevic at balliol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 05:34:23 CDT 2007

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on whether the following is possible in
PETSc: I want to implement an ADI-like method, in which I want to do
multiple uniprocessor linear solves concurrently (each linear solve is
quite small, but there are a lot of them).

This isn't what PETSc is designed for I guess, since one would typically
do one large solve with multiple processors, but I was wondering if
there is a good way of implementing this kind of ADI-like method in
PETSc? Or should I instead implement this kind of thing using a serial
linear solver, and control the concurrent solves with MPI? I'd prefer to
stick to PETSc if possible, since it has so much nice functionality
bundled in it, and has a lot of the MPI stuff already taken care of...

Thanks very much for the help.

Regards,
David Knezevic