Using ML and options

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 16 22:02:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Ben Tay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to test ml using "-pc_type ml" on my problem. It was working ok using
> LU or hypre/boomeramg. However I got the warning:
>
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
> Gen_Prolongator warning : max eigen <= 0.0
>
> When I use hypre, I used "-pc_type hypre -pc_hypre_type boomeramg which gives
> good and fast result for solving my poisson eqn. Is there a recommendation for
> ml as well?
>
> Moreover, although I got answers from ml, my answer using ml differs from LU
> and hypre from the 3 sig. fig. When I run the example ex2f, I get different
> norms of error:
>
> LU: Norm of error 0.1192E-05 iterations     4

  Huh? Why is this not 1.e-14, since LU is a direct solver, do you mean ILU?

> hypre: Norm of error < 1.e-12,iterations     1
>
> ml: Norm of error 0.2098E-03 iterations     2

   You may need to play around with the -ksp_rtol <rtol> value or options
in ml to (run with -pc_type ml -help to see ML options). Run with
-ksp_monitor_true_residual and send us the results, We don't have
a lot of experience with ML on real problems.

  Barry