[petsc-dev] reproducing crashes in the test harness

Pierre Jolivet pierre at joliv.et
Tue Mar 30 05:52:20 CDT 2021

> On 30 Mar 2021, at 12:37 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:25 AM Barry Smith <bsmith at petsc.dev <mailto:bsmith at petsc.dev>> wrote:
>
> # FAILED snes_tutorials-ex12_quad_hpddm_reuse_threshold snes_tutorials-ex12_p4est_nc_singular_2d_hpddm snes_tutorials-ex56_hpddm snes_tutorials-ex12_quad_hpddm_reuse_threshold_baij sys_tests-ex53_2 snes_tutorials-ex12_quad_hpddm_reuse_baij snes_tutorials-ex12_quad_hpddm_reuse snes_tutorials-ex12_p4est_singular_2d_hpddm snes_tutorials-ex12_tri_parmetis_hpddm snes_tutorials-ex12_quad_singular_hpddm sys_tests-ex26_1 sys_tests-ex26_2 snes_tutorials-ex12_tri_parmetis_hpddm_baij snes_tutorials-ex12_tri_hpddm_reuse_baij snes_tutorials-ex12_tri_hpddm_reus
>
> Scott,
>
>   Any thoughts on how the test harness could tell the developer exactly how to reproduce a problematic cases in the debugger without them digging around in the code to check arguments etc.
>
>   So for example "Run: mpiexec -n N ./xxx args -start_in_debugger" to reproduce this problem? Then one could just cut and paste and be debugging away.
>
> I always just EXTRA_ARGUMENTS="-start_in_debugger". However, if you really want to run standalone, V=1 will display the args I think

I don’t think it does.
It displays the path of the .sh script being invoked, but then you have to decipher that as well.
Also, when there are failures on workers such as diff-test+param, you can’t copy/paste that directly in $PETSC_ARCH/tests/echofailures.sh, you have to filter out the diff- and +param part, which is not very practical I think.

Thanks,
Pierre