[petsc-dev] integrate petsc4py tarball generation with petsc tarball generation

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Mon Mar 15 10:57:09 CDT 2021

  Satish,

     I think some of the python documentation tools used, epydoc, require that the python package it is documenting exists and is run-able since it probably uses the self-documenting features of Python.  This makes perfect sense for Python. A python package cannot provide help messages unless you can import it.

  Barry

  Maybe it could be rigged that petsc4py would allow itself to be imported and produce help messages without loading the PETSc libraries, this would require digging around a bit in how petsc4py loads the PETSc dynamic library.