[petsc-dev] Sphinx error

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Tue Jul 7 07:18:55 CDT 2020

  "Any Python package that you install with brew will install the Homebrew Python build."

  Sure in general with python on Apple, but you ignored my statement:

$ which sphinx-build
/usr/local/opt/sphinx-doc/bin/sphinx-build
~/Src/petsc/src/ksp/ksp/interface (master=) arch-master
$ more /usr/local/opt/sphinx-doc/bin/sphinx-build
#!/usr/local/Cellar/sphinx-doc/3.0.4/libexec/bin/python3.8
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
import re
import sys
from sphinx.cmd.build import main

sphinx seems to be carrying around its own python internally, thus quite rightly getting Jed upset about packaging on Apple of open source software.  Or perhaps I misunderstand that line.

  Barry