[petsc-dev] Pause-for-approval Pipelines?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 27 17:01:18 CDT 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020, Barry Smith wrote:

> The second pipeline I don't understand. Aside from letting people who don't use the GitLab API to  not have to hunt for the Pipelines window and cut and past their branch name in and the merge to master business does it serve any other purpose?

well I listed the stuff in my other e-mail.

- it tests branch+master (more useful?) - instead of branch [web pipeline].
- you can skip the forced re-bases that were required when CI changed [i.e even if your branch is off old master - the latest CI settings from latest master will get used by MR pipeline]
- it enables testing of MRs from forks. [so the additional complexity of that workflow is now gone. Note: only developers can start these pipelines - from the pipeline tab on the MR web page]

Is this not sufficient for folk to choose this option?

> Could we unset this for certain people who don't like it in the .gitlab-ci.yaml file?

Don't know. As mentioned  in the other e-mail:

An improvement would be: disable the auto-start of the MR pipelines [and only enable 'Run pipeline' option on the 'pipeline tab']. But we don't know how to do this..

Satish