[petsc-dev] PETSc issue I cannot post combine WaitForCUDA(); inside PetscLogGpuTimeEnd();

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Aug 28 00:46:24 CDT 2020

  Since we cannot post issues (reported here https://forum.gitlab.com/t/creating-new-issue-gives-cannot-create-issue-getting-whoops-something-went-wrong-on-our-end/41966?u=bsmith <https://forum.gitlab.com/t/creating-new-issue-gives-cannot-create-issue-getting-whoops-something-went-wrong-on-our-end/41966?u=bsmith>) here is my issue so I don't forget it.

  I think

 err  = WaitForCUDA();CHKERRCUDA(err);
 ierr = PetscLogGpuTimeEnd();CHKERRQ(ierr);

should be changed to include WaitForCUDA() actually WaitForDevice() inside the PetscLogGpuTimeEnd().

Currently sometimes the WaitForCUDA() is missing in a few places resulting in bad timing.

Also some _SeqCUDA() don't have the PetscLogGpuTimeEnd() and need to be fixed.

The current model is a maintenance nightmare.

Does anyone see a problem with making this change?

Thanks