[petsc-dev] external preconditioner availablilty for PETSc

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Mar 5 23:05:42 CST 2019

>From a research perspective, it doesn't make sense to view these
preconditioners as black boxes.  Your problem will likely have an
elliptic component (which you might approach using a multilevel method
such as PCGAMG, PCML, PCHYPRE, or PCBDDC, all of which can accept some
problem-specific input information as well as tunable parameters)
combined (perhaps using PCFIELDSPLIT) with a transport solver (perhaps
one-level domain decomposition).  The details of the splits will take
some thought and you'll want to compare to monolithic (unsplit) 1-level
domain decomposition methods with suitably chosen subdomains and/or
geometric multigrid.  One way to start would be to do a literature
search and try to reproduce the results from some methods in the
literature.  After that, you'll have a baseline for comparison and
probably get some ideas about composition.