[petsc-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: external preconditioner availablilty for PETSc

Hammond, Glenn E gehammo at sandia.gov
Wed Mar 6 00:21:57 CST 2019

Jed,

For the proposal, Heeho wants to demonstrate that a (well?) tuned black box preconditioner does not perform well (e.g. ILU[k], ILU[dt]).  Ultimately, he plans to build on work by Qang Bui (currently a post-doc at  LLNL), which is aligned with what you propose below, e.g.

Bui, Quan & Wang, Lu & Osei-Kuffuor, Daniel. (2018). Algebraic Multigrid Preconditioners for Two-phase Flow in Porous Media with Phase Transitions. Advances in Water Resources. 114. 10.1016/j.advwatres.2018.01.027.
Bui, Quan & C. Elman, Howard & Moulton, J. (2016). Algebraic Multigrid Preconditioners for Multiphase Flow in Porous Media. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing. 39. 10.1137/16M1082652.

So, at this point, Heeho is looking for the best out-of-the-box preconditioners to demonstrate their poor performance.  Or perhaps he should just employ PETSc's ILU[k] and move on....

Glenn