[petsc-dev] DMCreateMatrix_Shell

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 06:55:57 CST 2019

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 3:17 AM Smith, Barry F. via petsc-dev <
petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Hmm, why is this check wrong (though it may be incomplete)? Is there an
> example where it triggers an error when it shouldn't?
>
>    It is my understanding that the check is there to make sure if the user
> requested a particular matrix type then it won't return a different type
> that is unexpected for the user (the AIJ checks are just to handle MATAIJ
> vs MATSEQAIJ, MATMPIAIJ).

First, the logic is hard to read. It checks if A is mattype. I would think
it would error if this is not true. However,
it further checks whether its SEQAIJ or MPIAIJ, and only errors if it is
not. This seems to say, if the use specifies
a mattype, like CUSPARSE, but we give back AIJ, everything is alright? I am
reading this wrong?

   Matt